Developer Id Software has rolled out a new update for Doom Eternal that makes some changes to the game, including adding another Master Level for free and increasing the resolution on Xbox Series S and Series X. Check out Update 4’s full patch notes below.
Players looking for a challenge may have run through Doom Eternal’s Master Levels already, but Id Software has added “an entirely new combat experience” to the challenge levels. Super Gore Nest, the latest free Master Level, features a plethora of environmental hazards and conditions meant to challenge players in ways the already-difficult campaign hasn’t. With a new Master Level comes new rewards, too, including player icons, nameplates, and cosmetics.
Update 4 also increases the resolution on the latest Xbox consoles. Through dynamic resolution scaling, the Series S reaches 1080p at 60 Hz while the Series X hits 4K at 60 Hz.
There are other changes made with Update 4 as well. This includes speeding up player velocity when using the Super Shotgun Meathook mod, adding quick swap loading screen tips for Battlemode and Campaign, fixing crashes, and adding new Master Level difficulty settings.
On top of these adjustments, Id Software announced that another free Event will run from December 10 to January 14. Called Gift Wrap and Tear, the event features an assortment of unlockable in-game items all themed around Christmas, including a Santa-clad Doomguy.
This update comes not long after it was announced that Doom Eternal will make its way to Xbox Game Pass for PC this week–though it doesn’t include the game’s The Ancient Gods DLC episode. Furthermore, Doom Eternal finally launches on Nintendo Switch next week.
Doom Eternal Update 4 Patch Notes
Free New Master Level: Super Gore Nest
- An entirely new combat experience, built from the ground up, meant to challenge the player beyond anything seen in the base campaign.
- Environmental hazards and conditions keep the player on their toes and change the way they think about approaching combat.
- All new rewards like player icons, nameplates, and cosmetics all earnable through completing Super Gore Nest Master Level in different difficulties and modes.
- Start the Master Level with only the Combat Shotgun. You’ll need to find the rest of the weapons and mods throughout the level in order to fill out your arsenal and have a chance to survive!
Extra-Life Difficulty Added
- We’ve added Extra-Life mode for those looking to hone their skills and take on a higher challenge as it’s permadeath once you run out of Extra Lives. This is a great new option for those training for an Ultra Nightmare run. Time to go hunting for secrets!
Ultra Nightmare Difficulty Added
- For the ultimate test of skill for those black belt Slayers, we’ve added Ultra Nightmare difficulty for this new Master Level. This means permadeath without the chance to gain Extra Lives.
Updates and Improvements for Xbox
- Xbox Series X:
- Increased default backwards compatibility mode resolution to 4k at 60 HZ (with dynamic resolution scaling).
- Xbox Series S:
- Increased default backwards compatibility mode resolution to 1080p at 60 HZ (with dynamic resolution scaling).
Updates and Improvements for All Platforms
- Added Quick Swap loading screen tip for Battlemode and Campaign.
- Added a third Live Tile on the Main Menu.
- Added End of Level Event Preview functionality which allows players to learn more about the items on their current live event progression track .
Main Campaign Fixes for All Platforms
- Fixed an issue introduced in Update 3 in which completed mission challenges displayed as 0%.
- Fixed an issue introduced in Updated 3 in which players could not access Master Levels from the kiosk in the Fortress of Doom.
- Fixed an issue in which backing out of a Party while playing the campaign on Ultra Nightmare difficulty caused the Party Tab in the Social menu to lose functionality.
Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods – Part One Fixes for All Platforms
- Fixed a crash after skipping the Facility Destruction cinematic after the Marauder fight in UAC Atlantica.
- Fixed an issue in which the player can remain swimming in the air after leaving the water in certain situations.
- Fixed an issue in which entering water immediately after a checkpoint save could generate a bad state if the player exited the game before reaching another checkpoint.
New Battlemode Updates for All Platforms
- Fixed an issue where the Demon player’s spawned-in Carcass’ Seismic Furrows attack did not deal damage to the Slayer.
- Increased Slayer velocity when using the Super Shotgun Meathook mod.
Battlemode Fixes for All Platforms
- Fixed an issue where the player Archvile’s fireballs may follow a canted trajectory when fired at an angle through the Flame Wall.
- Fixed an issue where the milestones “Extinction-Level Slayer” and “Aggressive Transfusion” did not track progress Battlemode.
- Fixed an issue where resetting Demon controls to default only reset the Archvile controls .
- Fixed an issue where the Slayer player nameplate would sometimes briefly linger on the demon player’s HUD after a teleport.
- Fixed an issue on PC in Battlemode where the playable Revenant’s self-damage was much lower than expected .
Known Issues on All Platforms
- Issue: I’m a Windows Store/Windows GamePass customer and noticed that game invites from the Xbox Live app aren’t working. Is there anything I can do about this?
- Resolution: This is a known issue that we are working with our partners on the Xbox team to resolve. Stay tuned for updates.
- Issue: I’ve noticed that a community-created mod I’ve been playing no longer works after the latest update.
- Resolution: Doom Eternal doesn’t officially support community-created mods. Community mods may not function as expected.
Known Issues on PC Only
- Users with NVIDIA GPU drivers from before 11/5/20 may experience more performance hitches or instability than previously.
- Workaround: If you have an Nvidia GPU and are experiencing degraded performance or stability after installing Update 4, we highly recommend you update to the GeForce 457.03 drivers.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Credit: Source link